Drain maintenance in your home is vital to your day-to-day activities. Many things can cause drainage issues, from grease to roots, coffee grounds to kids’ toys. Of course, plumbing piping problems also cause re-occurring drainage issues.
If at any time you think twice about what you are about to put down your drain, stop, don’t do it. Likely it could plug your drain or cause a partial plug. If your drain is slow-moving or plugged you may need to call a plumber to resolve the drain maintenance issue.
Here are a few things you can do to try and avoid plugged drains or resolve plugged drains:
- Periodically fill your sinks up with hot soapy water and pull the plug, letting the water rush down the drain helping to move debris down the drain
- Your kitchen sink plug is also a strainer, turn it upside down and place it on the drain to help keep the larger material from making its way down the drain while rinsing dishes
- “Flushable wipes” are not flushable, STOP using them
- When using a plunger on your bathroom sink, use a wet rag to plug the overflow drain to prevent the plunger from pushing water up and out the overflow drain
- Don’t keep kids toys or small items near your toilet
If you have a drain issue and can’t seem to get it worked out, call your plumber, that’s why we are here!